Thursday, December 18, 2008

Made Aware of Race/Nationality

When I was about 10 years old my family moved to england. I was excited because this was something completely new for me. School, for me, was always fun and was something to look forward to. What I wasn't expecting was what took place. I showed up for school on the first day expecting to be the "new student". But because I was an american I was rejected. Not because I was white or new but because of where I came from. Eventually I did make a few friends (who were also americans) but it was a very discouraging feeling to be completely reject at this age.

3 comments:

  1. Wow England, that is sooooo cool. I visited London a couple summers ago and loved it. That sucks that everyone hated you for being American though! its not like you run the country

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's surprising that you were outcast when you moved. I would have expected you to be something of a novelty, that everyone would be interested in the American kid for awhile at least. It's also weird that kids only around 10 years old held your nationality against you; it doesn't seem like that would be a big deal for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man i dont know why 10 year olds would be so mean over you being american. Sounds like they need to chill out.

    Great post =]

    ReplyDelete